Council tax

Speaker iconQuestion icon

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

Council tax helps to pay for the cost of local services such as bin collections and recycling services, environmental health and planning. If you’re 18 or over and own or rent a home, you’ll usually have to pay council tax

Each property is assigned to a band  as set out below. 




Up to and including £40,000
B£40,001 - £52,000
C£52,001 - £68,000
D£68,001 - £88,000
E£88,001 - £120,000
F£120,001 - £160,000
G£160,001 - £320,000
HMore than £320,000



The attached document tells you how much you will have to pay in 2015/16




Although we collect your council tax, Copeland Borough Council gets just 11.9% of it, the rest is spent by Cumbria County Council and the Police and Crime Commissioner for Cumbria.

Each band pays a different amount of council tax (A the lowest, to H the highest).

Your Council Tax bill tells you:

  • how much you have to pay for the year
  • how that amount has been worked out
  • the dates you have to pay

The cost is usually split into 10 monthly payments. If the amount of council tax you have to pay changes during the year, you’ll get a new bill.


There are certain situations when a property is exempt from council tax. These are summarised below. If you are in any doubt, please contact us on 0845 054 8600 to discuss your particular circumstances.     



BEmpty dwellings under charity ownership and which have been unoccupied for less than six months.
DDwellings left empty by prisoners.
EDwellings left empty by people in hospitals and care homes.
FDwellings left empty by deceased persons where probate or letters of administration have not been granted. Or less than six months have elapsed since probate or letters of administration were granted.
GDwellings that are not allowed to be occupied by law
HEmpty dwellings for use by clergy.
IDwellings left empty by persons receiving care.
JDwellings left empty by persons providing care.
KDwellings left empty by students
LRepossessed dwellings.
MStudents’ halls of residence
NDwellings occupied only by students
OArmed forces' barracks, messes and married quarters
PVisiting forces' accommodation.
QDwellings left empty where the liable person is a trustee in bankruptcy.
RDwellings consisting of a pitch or mooring which are not occupied by a caravan or boat.
SDwellings occupied by a person (or persons) under 18 years of age.
TEmpty annexes/granny flats which are difficult to let separately and where the liable person also lives on the premises.
UDwellings occupied only by a person (or persons) who have an enduring mental illness
VDwellings occupied by diplomats
WGranny flats/annexes occupied by elderly or disabled relatives.

If at any time you have reason to believe that your property may no longer be an exempt property, you must inform us within 21 days. Failure to do so may result in a penalty of £70 or £280 for a repeated failure.

Published: 23 May 2012 - 12:58pm