Where you see this symbol FAQ you can submit a question and we will add the answer to our pool of Frequently Asked Questions for the benefit of other users. Whilst using the website if you come across a term or word you do not understand, then you can submit it to our glossary and we will provide an explanation, which again will help other users. We try to use plain language where possible and your feedback will help. Thank you.

Your question Answer
Who do I contact regarding repairs?

At the council we do not deal with everyday problems with housing association properties such as repairs – you need to phone your housing association.

The contact details for the main housing associations are:

  • Home Group Housing Association: 0345 141 4663
  • Two Castles Housing Association: 01946 591848
  • Impact Housing Association: 0344 8736290
Can I put vegetable peelings in the brown bin?

No. You should not put any form of food, whether raw or uncooked into the brown recycling bin. However, you can compost these items. To find out how to get a compost bin, please click here.

Can I take a van load to the tip?

Only if you have a permit. There is a permit scheme in operation at the recycling centre. This means that if you want to bring your household rubbish using a van or a twin axle trailer (up to 3 meters long) you will require a permit to do so.

Where are there public toilets in Copeland?

Public toilets owned by Copeland are available in the following locations:

  • The Market Hall - Whitehaven 
  • Haverigg Foreshore
  • Millom Park
  • Silecroft Foreshore
  • Bootle Village Car Park
  • Gosforth Village Car Park
  • Seascale Foreshore Car Park
  • St Bees Foreshore Car Park

In Whitehaven, you are welcome to use the toilets in the Market Hall in Whitehaven. There are two toilets in The Market Hall, one situated inside the reception area or one which is situated outside the building. Both toilets are open during open hours. 

What is the phone number for DWP?

To contact the Department of Work and Pensions, please call 0845 604 3719.

For further information about the work of the Department, please see their website.

How do I contact HMRC?

Whitehaven Tax Office
The Copeland Centre
Catherine Street
CA28 7SJ  

Telephone: 0844 474 0101

How do I apply for a Blue Badge?

The Blue Badge scheme provides a range of parking concessions for people with severe mobility problems who have difficulty using public transport, so that they can park close to where they need to go. The scheme is a Department for Transport scheme run by local councils and operates throughout the UK.

To apply go to

In Copeland, the scheme is administered by Cumbria County Council. They have more information and an application form on their website or you can call them on 01228 606060.

I am on holiday can I still pay my council tax?

If you are away from home and need to pay your council tax you can do so by phoning 0845 300 9490. Ideally you will know your council reference number but if not, we can process your payment if you have your name and address and the amount you need to pay.

Unfortunately if you do not have these details we are not allowed to tell you what they are and therefore would not be able to take payment.

Do tips open on Bank Holidays?

Yes. Both Frizington and Millom tip open as usual on Bank Holidays. For further details see

What are the opening hours of Frizington tip?

What are the opening hours of Millom tip?

I have been left a property, what should I do?

One of the first things to do in this situation, if you have been left a property in a will, is to notify the Council Tax section of the council on 0845 054 8600. Depending on the state of the property, they will be able to advise you on what to do. Please also see this leaflet by the Valuation Office, which provides further help.