Where you see this symbol FAQ you can submit a question and we will add the answer to our pool of Frequently Asked Questions for the benefit of other users. Whilst using the website if you come across a term or word you do not understand, then you can submit it to our glossary and we will provide an explanation, which again will help other users. We try to use plain language where possible and your feedback will help. Thank you.

Your question Answer
How much grant will I receive for a Disabled Facilities Grant?

The amount of grant is based on the cost of the works and an assessment of your finances. This will take into account your income, savings and benefits and also those of your spouse or partner, if you have one. However, in the case of a child, there is no financial assessment of themselves or their family.

Applicants receiving any of the following benefits will not need a financial assessment:

  • Income-based Job Seekers Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Council Tax Benefit
  • Guaranteed Pension Credit
  • Working Tax Credit – with income below a threshold set annually
  • Child Tax Credit – with income below a threshold set annually

 The maximum grant available is £30,000.

What is a Disabled Facilities Grant?

If you have difficulties in accessing your home or using its facilities, a Disabled Facilities Grant may be able to help you meet the costs of adapting your home so it meets your needs.

 The grant can help you remain as independent as possible by making changes to your home so it is safer and easier for you to live there.

 The types of adaptations that may be eligible for a grant include:

  • widening doors and putting in ramps for wheelchairs;
  • providing or improving access to rooms and using facilities; for example, stair lifts or a level access shower;
  • making your home safer for you and anyone who may care for you;
  • adapting heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use;
  • altering your home so you can move around it without difficulty; and
  • improving the entrances to your home and providing access to your garden.

To get a grant you will first need to see an occupational therapist who will assess your needs and recommend the type of adaptation(s) needed.

How long will it take to get a housing association house?

The length of time it takes to be allocated a housing association property depends on several things, including the band you are in on the housing register, your circumstances and the number of suitable properties that become available in the area where you want to live.

How do I get a housing association house in Copeland?

To apply for a housing association house in Copeland you will need to register for Cumbria Choice, and apply for properties you are interested in. You can find information about Cumbria Choice and details about how to use it on their website.


What can I do if I am struggling to pay my rent or mortgage?

If you are struggling to pay your rent or mortgage, the sooner you start to get help the better. We might be able to help you to negotiate a payment plan with your lender or landlord to help you to stay in your home, and we have funding available to help cover emergencies and prevent homelessness.

To arrange an appointment with the housing options team please contact us on 0845 054 8600.

If you have money worries you can also contact the Citizen's Advice Bureau or try the Whitehaven, Egremont and District Credit Union.

My partner is being violent or abusive towards me - what can I do?

Support for domestic violence victims in West Cumbria is available from the Freedom Project:

Helpline 07712117986

Women’s Domestic Violence helpline: 0808 2000 247 Freephone and 24 hour

Men’s Domestic Violence helpline: 0808 802 4040 Freephone, available Monday - Friday 10am-1pm and 2pm -5pm

If you are unable to occupy your home due to domestic violence or abuse we might be able to help you to find alternative accommodation. Alternatively we might be able to arrange to make your home safe so that you are able to remain living there.

In an emergency always phone 999.

To arrange an appointment to see the Housing Options team please contact us on 0845 054 8600.

My landlord wants me out of my house - what do I need to do now?

If your landlord wants you to move out of your house, you should start to look at your options to make sure you don’t become homeless. We can help you to do this – please contact us on 0845 0548600 to make an appointment. If you are in danger, for example if you are being threatened with violence, always dial 999.

There are certain things that your landlord is legally required to do if they want you to move out of your house.

These things will vary according to what type of tenancy agreement you have, however there are some things that nearly always count as a criminal offence:

  • changing the locks while you are out
  • threatening you or forcing you to leave
  • physically throwing you out
  • stopping you from getting into certain parts of your home
How do I report a pothole or other highways issue?

To report a pothole or other problem with a road or pavement, please contact Cumbria County Council.

You can email them at  or to report a fault by phone, call the Highways Hotline on 0845 609 6609 (answer phone service evenings, weekends and public holidays). 

For broken street lights and other related problems, you can also use Fix my street. They co-ordinate all issues reported and feed them through to the relevant authority to deal with.


How can I find a council house?

The council does not own its own houses for rent. All of the social rented properties in Copeland are owned by housing associations.

To apply for a housing association house in Copeland you will need to register for Cumbria Choice, and apply for properties you are interested in. You can find information about Cumbria Choice and details about how to use it at link to Cumbria Choice webpage.

Otherwise you can contact the housing associations as follows:

  • Home Group Housing Association: 0345 141 4663
  • Two Castles Housing Association: 01946 591848
  • Impact Housing Association: 0344 8736290


What Locality do I live in?

There are six localities in Copeland each centred on a town or large villages from which many people receive most of their services.

  • South Copeland: Millom, Millom Without, Haverigg, Bootle, Ulpha, Waberthwaite, Whicham
  • Mid Copeland: Gosforth, Seascale, Muncaster, Wasdale, Eskdale, Ponsonby, Irton with Santon.
  • West Copeland: Egremont, St Bees, Beckermet with Thornhill, Lowside Quarter
  • North East Copeland: Cleator Moor, Weddicar, Lamplugh, Arlecdon and Frizington, Ennerdale.
  • Howgate Distington: Lowca, Parton, Moresby and Distington
  • Whitehaven: the wards of Bransty, Harbour, Hensingham, Mirehouse, Hillcrest, Kells and Sandwith