Buildings and structures
Major development proposals
Major development proposals are often complex and raise a number of issues. We strongly encourage all developers to enter into early discussions on major proposals.
Do I need planning permission? (Householder)
Some alterations to your home may not require planning permission and could be carried out as a permitted development, if they satisfy certain limits and conditions. These may include the following:-
- Dormers/roof alterations
- Hard surfaces/decking
- Do I need planning permission for stables?
Planning enforcement manual
Detailed information on what constitutes a breach of planning rules and what action we can take.
Application form to demolish something
Form to submit if you are seeking permission to demolish something.
Information on all aspects of planning including when you need planning permission and how to get it.
Lawful development certificate
You can obtain formal confirmation that your proposed works are a permitted development by applying for a Lawful Development Certificate. This is not the same as planning permission but provides proof that your household building work is lawful, This type of application costs £86.
Notification of a rear extension
This form can be used by a household to notify us of the intention to use the permitted development rightsto build a single-storey rear extension of greater than four metres up to eight metres for a detached house and greater than three metres up to six metres for any other type of house outside Article 1(5) land* and sites of special scientific interest.
Guidance on prior approval for extensions
This guidance note only applies to the temporary permitted development arrangements introduced in May 2013 for single storey extensions to the rear of a house.
Form to notify us that an extension is complete
Form to use to notify us that you have completed a single storey rear extension. Please return the form to
Copeland Borough Council
Whitehaven CA28 7SJ
- Do I need approval to convert my garage into a room I can live in?
- How long do I have to start work after my Building Regulations application has been fully approved?
- Do I need approval to make alterations?
- How long do I have to complete the building works once work has commenced on site?
- Do I need Building Regulations approval to install cavity insulation into my house?
- What is the difference between Building Regulations and Planning permission?
- Do I need Building Regulations approval to construct a detached garage?
- If you do not check plans on Building Notice applications, why are the charges the same as for Full Plans Applications?
- Do I need Building Regulations approval to construct a carport?
- If I make a Building Notice application, will the Building Control Officer tell me how to carry out the work during his first visit?
- Do I need Building Regulations approval to construct a porch?