Details of all the different types of licences we can issue. If you want a specific application form see 'related forms' on the left hand side menu or click on the black and white 'application form' tag at the top of the page. .
Hackney carriage drivers
Section 59 of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976 states that a council, before granting a hackney carriage driver's licence must be satisfied that an applicant is a fit and proper person to hold such a licence and that the applicant has for at least 12 months prior to the date of the application, been authorised to drive a motor car (that is, held a full driver's licence for that period).
Medical certificate in support of an application for a hackney carriage or private hire vehicle licence.
Byelaws covering hackney carriages
Made under Section 68 of the Town Police Clauses Act 1847 and Section 171 of the Public Health Act 1875 by Copeland Borough Council with respect to hackney carriages in the Borough of Copeland
Application for grant of hackney carriage driver's licence
Application for grant of hackney carriage driver's licence along with guidance notes for completing the form.
Application for hackney carriage vehicle licence
Application form and guidance for people wanting to apply for a hackney carriage vehicle licence.
Private hire terms and conditions
Terms and conditions attached to a private hire vehicle operator's licence. Please make sure you are aware of the contents of this document before you apply for a private hire vehicle licence.
Private Hire Operators Licences last for a period of 3 years. Private Hire Operators are required to keep a register or permanent book giving full details of every booking taken which may be inspected by the Council or the Police at any time.
The application form should be completed and submitted together with the appropriate licence fee. Private Hire Operators are required to have an operating base within the Borough of Copeland.
Application for a private hire vehicle licence
Application form for a private hire vehicle licence.
Application for grant of private hire driver's licence
Application form for a private hire vehicle licence and guidance on how to complete the form. All drivers of private hire vehicles are required to satisfy that they are fit and proper persons to hold such a licence. The Council is empowered in law to check with the Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) for the existence and content of any criminal record held in the name of the applicant.
A licence is issued for 12 months and to qualify an applicant must:
- Have held a full driving licence for 12 months prior to the date of application;
- Complete a private hire drivers licence application form;
- Complete a Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) application form (if applicable). This is required every 3 years and in the intervening years a self-certification form must be completed declaring that no further convictions have been obtained since the last CRB check;
- Provide a medical certificate (required every 3 years unless otherwise stated) from his/her doctor, certifying that the applicant is fit to drive a private hire vehicle;
- Provide a full current driving licence (both photo card and counterpart);
- Provide 2 x passport size photographs of the applicant;
- Provide a valid Passport (if applicable);
- Provide your Birth Certificate ;
- Provide your Marriage Certificate (if applicable)
- Provide your National Insurance Number.
Please note that the CRB application forms are only available from the Council Offices.
Application to renew hackney carriage driver's licence
Application to renew your hackney carriage driver's licence and supporting guidance.
- Can I become a taxi driver?
- How do I get my vehicle licensed as a taxi?
- How do I get my vehicle a private hire licence?